5 things to look for in an MEWP Thorough Examination
Most operators of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) are mindful of their responsibilities in arranging regular safety inspections.
But far fewer are aware that many inspection providers use a generic checklist which fails to inspect components specific to MEWPs… potentially putting an employer on the wrong side of the law. Here’s why.
The law states that under LOLER regulations, an MEWP should undergo a Thorough Examination at least every 6 months to ensure that equipment is not faulty and doesn’t pose a risk to staff. Sounds straightforward, but many Thorough Examinations focus solely on LOLER, ignoring the PUWER component of the inspection, an omission that could lead to accidents, injuries, damage, downtime, disruption and possible prosecution. “In some ways, an incomplete inspection is worse than none at all, as it could give a false sense of security,” explains Geoff Martin Chairman of Thorough Examination accrediting body CFTS.
“To help owners and operators of MEWPs meet their safety obligations and comply fully with the law, we have come up with 5 tips that will help them review their existing arrangements.” 5-point guide for effective MEWP Thorough Examinations
1) Does your provider employ MEWP Thorough Examination documentation including a dedicated MEWP checklist created specifically for this kind of equipment? CFTS examiners never take a “once size fits all” approach to different types of workplace equipment.
2) Crucially, does the provider’s documentation meet the requirements of both LOLER and PUWER – i.e., does it cover important areas such as brakes and steering as well as the lifting gear (many don’t).
3) Is your examiner both a ‘competent person’ and an experienced engineer? And do they carry the kit to check your MEWP thoroughly? (Including trolley jack, A-frame ladders and dedicated chain-gauge).
4) Is your Thorough Examination fully and independently audited? Does the inspector undergo regular refresher training – so you can rest assured they are up to date with the latest legislation?
5) Is your examiner able to minimise disruption to your operations? Many CFTS-accredited engineers are equipped to carry out repairs so, in the event of a fault, it can be fixed without delay, keeping you operational. Importantly, with more than 600 depots nationwide, it is easy to find a CFTS-accredited examiner near you.
To find your nearest Thorough Examination provider visit: www.thoroughexamination.org/find-an-accredited-examiner.
- Samsung Evo Plus microSD SDXC U3 Class 10 A2 Memory Card 130MB/s with SD...
REGULAR PRICE: £62.99 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. Up to 130MB/s transfer speed with Class 10 and U3 […]
- ARPBEST 30X55 High Definition Monocular Telescope with Smartphone Holder &...
REGULAR PRICE: £72.24 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. ✅Monocular telescope 30X55 high power zoom magnification. […]
- GENUINE FORD SYNC 2 SD CARD NAV UPDATE F10 2022 KUGA, MONDEO S-MAX, C-Max, Focus
REGULAR PRICE: £29.99 This fits your . by entering your model number. GENUINE CARD, SAME DAY POST, FULL AFTERSALES SUPPORT! Check Offer Price […]
- Bluetooth Headphones Over Ear, KVIDIO 55 Hours Playtime Wireless Headphones...
REGULAR PRICE: £20.99 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. HIGH FIDELITY STEREO HEADPHONES: KVIDIO upgraded bluetooth […]
- Anker 333 USB C to USB C Charger Cable (6ft 100W, 2-Pack), USB 2.0 Type C...
REGULAR PRICE: £21.99 About this item The Anker Advantage: Join the 80 million+ powered by our leading technology. Rapid Charging: Supports […]